Today, an individual has two basic options for straightening crooked teeth or eliminating any noticeable spacing between them. Ceramic or metal braces that use wires to push your teeth into their proper position are the more traditional methods that have been used for decades. However, the newer, more innovative technology for creating the perfect looking smile is Invisalign clear braces. Today, this is the more aesthetically appealing, convenient, and popular method for eliminating gaps and straightening crooked teeth.
Shine Dental Group can help you create the perfect smile by providing either method to our patients. However, you should be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of each before making your decision. Consider the following before visiting our office:
- Both types of braces will straighten your teeth and eliminate any gaps between them – in addition to this, the cost of each method is similar depending on the condition of your teeth.
- Invisalign clear braces use a series of clear orthodontic aligners to achieve the desired effect – they are practically invisible and hard for others to notice that you are wearing them. Metal or ceramic braces use brackets, rubber bands, spacers, and wires which are highly visible.
- New aligners are replaced every two weeks throughout the process – conversely, dental appointments for regular maintenance, replacing wires, and tightening must be scheduled every 4 to 8 weeks when using traditional braces.
- No retainers are required – once you have straightened your teeth with Invisalign clear braces, you will never have to wear a retainer at night when you are sleeping. When traditional braces are finally removed, you may have to continue using a retainer at night for up to 2 years.
- Practicing proper oral hygiene is considerably easier with Invisalign clear braces – not so with traditional braces as they cannot be removed for proper brushing and flossing. So you can eat whatever foods you want without worrying about food particles being left behind after cleaning your teeth.
- You can remove Invisalign clear braces at home – this is not the case with traditional braces as an orthodontist must remove them. Plus, traditional braces can be clear but are never invisible unlike Invisalign clear braces which cannot be seen when you are wearing them.
These are key considerations to be aware of when it is time to for you or your children to get braces. For more information, contact Shine Dental Group today and schedule an appointment to determine the best option for your teeth.