In the simplest of terms, dental implant surgery is performed in order to replace damaged or missing teeth. The implant functions as an artificial root and is placed into the jaw bone in order to hold a bridge or replacement tooth. One of the primary concerns that Shine Dental Group patients have regarding this procedure is what they can expect when dental implant surgery is performed.
Steps Required During The Process
Normally, this surgical procedure is performed on an outpatient basis in several stages which usually includes the following:
- The first step is removing the damaged tooth unless it is already missing.
- Next, we prepare your jaw bone for the procedure. In some cases, bone grafting may be involved in this step if the bone is either too soft or not thick enough to support the implant. Bone from another area of the body is used in this procedure and it could take as long as nine months before enough bone has regrown so that the implant is supported properly.
- Once the bone has completely healed, your oral surgeon will insert the metal post of the implant into your jawbone.
- At this point, the healing process begins and may take several months.
- After the healing process is completed, an extension of the implant’s metal post – known as the abutment – is placed and the crown (artificial tooth) is attached.
The entire procedure can take anywhere from 3 to 9 months or longer based on the individual and how long it takes them to heal. The majority of that time is attributed to the healing process and waiting for the new bone to grow in your jaw.
Another common concern that Shine Dental Group patients have when considering dental implant surgery is the amount of pain and discomfort that may be involved with the procedure. Since no two people are ever alike, this depends entirely on the individual patient. Whether multiple stages of the procedure are required the typical discomforts that you may experience include:
- swelling of the face and gums
- bruising of the gums and skin
- pain at the site of the implant
- minor bleeding
Dental implant surgery is one of the more common cosmetic dentistry procedures and in most cases, it is successful when replacing missing teeth and restoring a person’s smile. Please call Shine Dental Group today to schedule an appointment and speak with one of our staff so they can recommend the proper course of action.