According to the American Dental Association (ADA), up to 40 million Americans, or 15% of them have anxiety or phobias about going to the dentist. In some cases, these can be so severe that sedation dentistry is the only solution. In the simplest of terms, sedation dentistry involves the use of pharmacological agents in order to relax the patient prior to and during their visit to the dentist so they remain calm and experience little or no stress.
Are You A Candidate For Sedation Dentistry?
Whether you are scheduled for a routine cleaning or something more complex such as an extraction or having a cavity filled, you may experience certain fears and stress about your visit to the dentist. Many individuals suffer from these dental anxieties and phobias, so you’re not alone where this is concerned.
If you suffer from the following dental anxieties, you may be a candidate for sedation dentistry:
• being afraid that you will lose control when undergoing a dental procedure
• extreme stress when visiting the dentist
• fear of experiencing pain during even simple dental procedures
• fear of gagging (strong gag reflex)
• fears or worries about visiting the dentist
• sense of uneasiness about your appointment with the dentist
Furthermore, if your fears of visiting the dentist are extreme or severe, you may be suffering from one of several dental phobias. You have a dental phobia if one of the following applies:
• Even if you have broken a tooth or an infection is present, you refrain from scheduling an appointment and visiting the dentist for treatment
• Just the thought of visiting the dentist causes you to experience extreme fear and/or panic
• Your dental anxieties prevent you from making an appointment with the dentist or keeping them when you have one scheduled
If any of these dental anxieties or phobias applies to you, then you are a candidate for sedation dentistry. Regardless of the extent of these, the dentists at Shine Dental Group are here to help you through them and relieve your fears during any office visit and any procedure you may have to undergo.
We know that the apprehensions and fears that many individuals suffer from stem from insecurities about one’s teeth or a previous unpleasant experience with another dentist. Our primary goal is to ensure your comfort and security while visiting our office. Call us today to schedule an initial consultation. We will be happy to explain the many benefits that sedation dentistry provides.