Going to the dentist can cause a lot of anxiety. You may be embarrassed that you haven’t gone to the dentist in a while or are afraid that the procedure will be painful so you’ve been putting it off. Fortunately, you can reduce your anxiety and get the most out of your visit if you prepare a few things in advance. Here are some tips to make sure your next dental visit goes smoothly:
1. Make An Appointment: The first step is to simply make the appointment. Before you do though, you should do a little due diligence and ask around for recommendations. You want to make sure that your first time back to the dentist in a while goes smoothly so you don’t end up blowing it off again.
2. Ask Questions: When you make an appointment, let the receptionist know the details of your last dental visit and share any anxieties about your upcoming visit. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, they are very knowledgeable and can help ensure you understand everything you need to know. Often, if they can’t answer your question, they will forward you to the dental hygienist or dentist.
3. Transfer Your Dental Records: If your new dentist and dental hygienist have your old dental records, they will be better able to understand your particular dental challenges and put together a tailored treatment plan. Also, sometimes you can avoid paying for diagnostic procedures if your new dentist has your old records.
4. Gather All Your Information: Before seeing a new dentist, you will have to fill out a lot of forms that include your insurance information, medical records, and dental history. Make sure that you have everything prepared so you can provide all the necessary information.
5. Make A List Of Any Symptoms: If you have any pain or sensitivity, sores, loose teeth, bleeding, or anything else that is of concern. Make sure that you make a list of any symptoms that may be concerning. This will help both the dentist and the dental hygienist understand and address your particular issues.
6. Communicate: Our dentists really do understand why people may have put off dental visits. You do not have to be concerned about sharing any worries or anxieties. Shine Dental Group dentists and dental hygienists will help you feel comfortable and confident, so you keep up your dental health. Just let us know why you’ve put your dental visits off and we will be sure to work with you so that you keep coming back.